Terry Derham took over the role of Secretary from Patrick Redmond. St Mary’s 30th year, celebrated with a function on 26th April attended by more than 20,000 past and present parents, supporters and past players???!!!
Kym Irvine and Patrick Redmond continued as President and Secretary. Another successful year by any measure. 350 players, fifteen teams, seven of which played in the finals. Three teams, Under 11 Green, Under 12 Brown and Under 13 Gold won premierships.
Two of our AFL players, Andrew Eccles and Ben Johnson achieved their 50 AFL game milestone and, as a result, were awarded Honorary Life Membership of St. Mary’s.
Alan and Janine Bryant, Wayne and Elizabeth Mace were all awarded Life Memberships.
Kym Irvine replaced Wayne Mace as Club President, and Patrick Redmond continued for a third year as Secretary. Anthony Seneca took over the role of Treasurer from the long serving Graeme Delany.
Finalists were the Under 11,12, 13 and Colts 1 teams with the Under 13 team winning the premiership; their 4th premiership in succession.
The Club made its final payment on the loan for the Whatmough Park clubrooms. Thanks must go to the outstanding work of our Sponsorship Committee and, of course, our young stars drafted to the AFL competition in recent years.
Ben Finnin achieved ‘All Australian’ selection following the Commonwealth Bank Cup Interstate Carnival, and was selected by the Adelaide Football Club in the AFL National Draft. Life Membership was awarded to Livio Basile, and our Federal Government awarded the Australian Sports Medal to Gerry O’Hara in recognition of his long outstanding service to St Mary’s.
Wayne Mace and Patrick Redmond continued for a second term as President and Secretary, and Graeme Delany commenced his eighth year as Club Treasurer.
Success in finals for the Under 12 Gold and Under 10 Brown teams, with the Under 12 team winning the premiership.Justin Poyser, Under 14, played his 150th game. The Club’s youngest player to reach this milestone.
Neil Heaslip lead the Sponsorship Committee to a most successful year, more than $7000 was raised. Club apparel was introduced, and proved to be most popular.
The City of Banyule agreed to extend the Greensborough Park Clubrooms. Nick Stevens completed 50 AFL games and was awarded Honorary Life Membership.
Shane McMahon and Bill Price retired as President and Secretary, and were replaced by Wayne Mace and Patrick Redmond.
380 players represented the Club, with two teams in each age group. The Under 11, 14 and 15 Gold teams won premierships, and the Under 13 Gold team was runner up.
Life Membership awarded to Jenny Lee, and Honorary Life Membership to Blake Caracella (50 AFL games).
Player numbers continued to boom. More than 80 Tackers, and almost 400 registered players. Five of our 14 competitive teams played in finals, and the Under 10 and 13 teams were premiership winners. New playing jumpers were introduced. Nick Stevens had an outstanding first year of AFL football (Nick was second in the Norwich Rising Star Award, and voted Best First Year Player by the members of the AFL Players Association) after being drafted to play with Port Adelaide/Power. We have continued to enjoy the achievements of former St Mary’s players, Blake Caracella, Daniel Harford, Andrew Eccles, Stuart Mangin and Daniel Stevens.
The City of Banyule set new records in creative avoidance during 1998, ensuring that the inadequate facilities at Greensborough Park remained an important agenda item for 1999. The pavilion/clubrooms at Whatmough Park were renamed the Ray Money Clubrooms in honour of Ray, who passed away in May, 1997.
Life memberships were awarded to; John (Pippy) and Pat Baker, Bill and Christine Price, Shane and Maree McMahon and Katrina Tenson.
Gerry O’Hara retired as President at the end of 1996, and was replaced by Shane McMahon. Bill Price continued as Secretary. The Whatmough Park clubroom extension was opened for the beginning of the season, and the Doncaster and Hawthorn Junior Football Leagues merged to form the Yarra Junior Football League.
The Club had more than 80 Tackers, 385 registered players, 8 of our 11 teams played in finals, the Under 13 and 14 teams were premiership winners. – 21 St Mary’s players were invited (as leading vote getters) to the Yarra Junior Football League Best and Fairest Awards. We celebrated Andrew Eccles being drafted to play AFL football with the Adelaide Crows, and continued to marvel (with a touch more celebration!) at the achievements of former St Mary’s players Blake Caracella, Daniel Harford, Daniel Stevens and Stuart Mangin as their football careers progressed. Nick Stevens joined this illustrious group when Port Adelaide/Power drafted him.
The Club sought the assistance of Banyule Council to extend and improve the Greensborough Park change rooms.
Life Memberships were awarded to Graeme and Kim Delany, Phil and Pam Jenner.Daniel Harford was awarded Honorary Life Membership as the first St Mary’s player to play 50 VFL/AFL games.
The Gerry O’Hara/Bill Price executive team was re-elected for a third term. A busy year on and off the playing field. Work continued on the extension to the Whatmough Park clubrooms. Training lights were installed at Whatmough Park. More than 350 players represented the club, nine teams competed in finals, five in grand finals, with premiership wins to our Colts (1) and Under 10 Black teams.
Andrew Eccles selected by Adelaide Football Club in the AFL National Draft. Life membership awarded to Bob and Judy Christopherson.
337 Registered Players, ten teams playing finals, and two premierships -Under 14 and Colts.
A Grant was received from the City of Banyule towards the cost of change rooms at Whatmough Park. Building commenced on 29/11/95. We also borrowed more than $60,000 for the project!
David McEwan drafted by Hawthorn Football Club. Mervin Ord was awarded Life Membership.
Gerry O’Hara returned as President after a two year break and Bill Price was elected Secretary.
Eleven of our thirteen teams played in the finals; Under 1O, 15 and Colt teams won premierships, our most successful year ever. Our relationship with Riverside Cricket Club was improved further by the work of our respective presidents.
Hawthorn, Essendon, North Melbourne and Sydney Football Clubs selected respectively, Daniel Harford, Blake Caracella, Daniel Stevens and Stuart Mangin in the AFL National Draft.
Mick and Ellen Kavanagh and Daryl and Anne Shepherd were awarded Life Membership.
A year of celebration, twenty years since our beginning; the popular trend at the time to celebrate such events, ‘commemorative port’; the bottle looked good! Graeme Delany took over the role of Treasurer from Kevin Willits.
Six sides made the finals, with three sides winning premierships – Under 13B, Under 13W and Under 14’s. It was great to see (and made history!) two sides in the one age group win premierships. Internal renovations and extensions began on the clubrooms.
Dick Joyce and Denis Trinchi were awarded Life Membership.
Barry Trevor and Mike Pemberton were elected President and Secretary.
Another successful year; premierships for our Under 10, Under 15 and Colts teams.
The move to our new home at Whatmough Park was a great success for our loyal supporters (families!).
Gerard Power was drafted by the Geelong Football Club. David Boyd and Gerry and Sharon O’Hara were awarded Life Membership.
1991 was the most successful year in the club’s history (so far), with 6 sides making the finals and 4 of them going on to take out premierships. They were the U/11, U/12, U/14 and U/15 teams.
Gerry O’Hara and Shane McMahon and Kevin Willitts were elected for their second term. Graeme Dunn cemented his name into the history books, by becoming the Club’s most successful coach, with five premierships to his credit. Graeme and his wife, Thelma, were awarded Life Membership.
Ray Money, one of the Club’s founding members, assisted the Committee to initiate negotiations with the Shire of Diamond Valley, for the Club to transfer its headquarters to Whatmough Park for the beginning of the 1992 season.
Season 1990 was one of mixed fortunes, two premierships, U/11’s and U/13’s. Unfortunately we were unable to field sides in either U/16 or U/17. We decided to split our U/10 side into two even teams, this decision was successful in that both teams made it through to the preliminary final. Seven of our teams made it into the finals.
A Sportsman’s Night, organised by Mike Turner and Denis Trinchi, was held at the Old Paradian’s football clubrooms, and was a huge success.
Gerry O’Hara, ,Shane McMahon and Kevin Willitts were appointed as President, Secretary and Treasurer respectively.
Mick Kavanagh took over the role of Treasurer from Ken Reddrop. This year saw the club take another huge step forward, fielding an U/17 team for the first time. We remained the biggest club in the DDJFL with 15 teams. A number of our boys finished their time with St Mary’s, and transferred to senior clubs to continue their football careers. Dean Arnel was one of these players, concluding his career at St Mary’s, and establishing a club record of 185 games.
We had five teams playoff in the Grand Final, with the U/12(1) taking off the flag and the U/14(1) going down by one point. The club had now won a total of 11 premierships.
Barry Munari was re-elected President for a second term, and John O’Keefe was awarded a Life Membership.
Barry Munari replaced Denis Arnel as President. The Club fielded 15 teams, including two Under 16 teams, and for the first time became the largest (and continued as the best!) club in the Doncaster and District Junior Football League. 336 boys played for St. Mary’s during the season, and a key measure of success was that each age group was represented in the finals for the first time. Three of our teams (U1 0 (1), U12 (1) and U13 (1)) made the grand final and the U12 (1) team won the Premiership.
The Club continued to receive strong sponsorship support from local businesses.
Dennis and Heather Arnel were awarded Life Membership of the Club.
David Boyd took over as Secretary from Nevil Mefflin. The club fielded 14 sides, two sides in every age group. Around 330 boys played for St. Mary’s.
1987 also saw the establishment of Diamond Hills Reserve, and the purchase of $3,000 resaleable temporary change rooms which were fitted out by the dads. We acquired more sponsors, and this helped strengthen our finances.
Terry Keays was St. Mary’s first player recruited to V.F.L. football. He was just sixteen years of age. Eight other boys were involved in the Collingwood under 15 development squad.
Six teams played in the finals, with the under 11 and the under 15 sides winning premierships. A skills programme was introduced for the under 9 and 10’s.
Finally, our training lights erected at Loyola. It was a great help on winter nights in June and July. We had three first division sides in the Grand Final, with the under 14 team completing the season undefeated, including the premiership. We fielded thirteen sides, and around 300 boys took the field . We started to become more professional by encouraging local business to sponsor our club. The sponsorships enabled us to give the boys extra rewards, including pie nights and other encouragement awards and trophies.
This saw Dennis Arnel take over as President from Jeff Howard, and Ken Reddrop take over from Tim Daly as Treasurer. The club continued with its policy of giving as many boys a game of football as possible. We fielded 12 teams, with around 270 boys. It was the first year St. Mary’s fielded an under 15 side, and it helped keep boys around the club for an extra year. Due to there being 12 sides it was necessary to acquire a second ground, and we were allocated Greensborough Park.
The scoreboard was erected at Loyola over the summer of 84/85, thanks to the help of the dads in the club.
Three first division teams played in the finals, unfortunately again we did not win a grand final.
Tim Daly took over the role of Treasurer, replacing Neil Mulavey after 7 years in the job. We fielded 10 teams, 8 teams in the D.D.J.F,L. with 4 teams making the finals. Unfortunately this time no premierships, but we did give 245 boys a game of football, and continued on the fellowship amongst the families. Largely due toour now famous Supporters Club on Sunday nights, and our newsletter, ‘the Burra Weekly’. The Committee decided to create a new management structure for the 1985 season to cater for yet another anticipated expansion in club activities. Life Membership was awarded to Peter and Mary Brabender, and Neil Mullavey.
Jeff Howard and Nevil Mefflin took over from Peter Brabender and Maureen Miller as President and Secreatry. We achieved our sixth premiership, with success coming to the U/13s with Ed Williams as Coach. Further improvements to facilities took place with the erection of two coaches boxes, and plenty of black and white painted around the place.
We had three teams in the finals, with no premierships. The Council agreed to carry out ground improvements. The retaining wall was built, and playground equipment added. A sprinkler system was authorised, and we made the final payment on our clubrooms.
Peter Brabender and Neil Mulavey continue as President and Treasurer, with Maureen Miller assuming the role of Secretary. By now all our sides (except one tackers side) had switched over to Doncaster & District Junior Football League. Our Loyola Reserve clubrooms and surrounds were improved upon, and Peter Baird and Alan Moxey were awarded Life Membership.
Peter Brabender and Brian McNamara took over from Peter Baird and Brian Moran as President and Secretary. Our U/10A team went through the season undefeated, but their success was offset by the fact that our U/11, U/12 and U/14 teams all finished fifth, narrowly missing the finals.
Life Membership was awarded to Mrs Margaret O’Connor.
Peter Baird, Brian Moran and Neil Mulavey continue in the roles of President, Secretary and Treasurer. Our new clubrooms were ready and our real identity was now complete. We had the lot, including two more premierships in U/11 and U/13. Life Membership was awarded to Basil Quihampton. As well as winning the U/11 premiership, 14 of our boys represented Collingwood and Fitzroy in the Little League.
Our Second Premiership. Again our U/1OA team was successful. 1978 also saw the acquisition of a new home ground at Loyola Reserve, and plans were underway to build a pavilion. Peter Baird took over as President, and Life Membership was awarded to Trevor Corcoran.
Basil Quihampton continued as President, with Brian Moran and Neil Mulavey assuming the roles of Secretary and Treasurer respectively.
Watsonia Tech. opened its new sports complex, which provided better change facilities for the boys. It was a good year highlighted by our first premiership; Under 10A. We now had 187 boys registered to play.
Jack & Joyce Ford and Bruce & Val Cope were awarded the first Life Memberships of our club.
Carried on with the good work, and team development. We now had three teams in the finals U/1OA, U/12 and U/13.
Basil Quihampton took over from Trevor Corcoran as President, with Allen Corcoran taking over the Secretary’s role. We were well on our way; a premiership was inevitable. The atmosphere at the Club was so great that success had to come, and it did!
Trevor Corcoran continued as President, with Norm Ward taking over the Secretary’s role, and Mrs. Val Cope moving into the Treasurers position. We really came of age! The foresight of our founding members was now really bearing fruit. The spirit within the club was electric, people developed friendships that still exist today.
It was during 1975 that new headquarters were established at the ‘Clubhouse’ in the grounds of St. Mary’s School. The mobile canteen (caravan) was purchased, and proved to be a great success at home games. It is worth mentioning here that prior to purchasing the caravan the ladies, without complaining, worked from a tent to provide food and drinks to raise funds for the club.
By 1974 we were well on our way, 150 boys playing football in 6 teams. No premierships, but plenty of fun and friends being made. We also had teams entered in the Doncaster and Districts Junior Football League for the first time. Because of our Preliminary Final performance the previous year, we were now known and respected, and our younger kids were a year older and learning what it was all about.
After an initial meeting, Jim O’Connor, Ray Money and Bob Bentley successfully made application to enter an Under 10 and Under 12 team in the Preston and Reservoir Junior Sunday Football League.
In March 1973 the Club’s first committee was elected. It comprised: Pres. Trevor Corcoran, V. Pres. Pat Kelly, Sec. Tony Villanti, Treas. Norm Ward, Registrations Jim Rodgers, League Delegates, Jack Ford and Basil Quihampton and Chaplain, Fr. James Kierce. Our first coaches were Brian Evans U/12, Shane Barry U/10 and Don Smith U/10 Res.
It was also decided at this first committee meeting to adopt Collingwood Football Club colours. Even at that stage the term ‘Burras’ was being used. Which, as we all know now, has developed into our mascot, the Kookaburra.
Pre-season training was at Partington’s Flat, and interest was high with as many parents attending the sessions as kids. Other sporting codes objected to football at Par1ington’s Flat, which meant that the Club’s first home ground was at Watsonia Tech. 91 boys aged from 7 -11 registered in our first year and, although some required clearances, we can record that no transfer fee changed hands!