To celebrate the AFL indigenous round and national reconciliation week, our club has organised some exciting activities for this weekend. These include:
· Our 4 Tackers sides will wear specially designed indigenous themed socks at their games on Sunday. These socks were designed by Tackers Teal player, Taj Fazekas – to read more and see Taj displaying the socks please check out this link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/young-player-gets-on-the-right-foot-for-this-weeks-indigenous-round-footy/story-fnglenug-1227372649657. Thanks so much Taj, your design is awesome & inspiring.
· All 5 of our teams playing at Whatmough Park will observe an Acknowledgement of Country before the game. This acknowledges the traditional owners of the land where we play our games, the Wurundjeri elders of the Kulin nation past and present.
· The Aboriginal flag will be flown at Whatmough Park
· Festivities will continue upstairs on Sunday night, with a special guest speaker Jason Kaona, the acting president of the Fitzroy Stars Football Club, who will speak about the importance of community sporting clubs to the indigenous community and the reconciliation process.
· Our Senior sides will also be wearing the indigenous round socks in their home fixture against South Morang. If you have some time to spare on Saturday please get down to Whatmough Park to support the boys and see the socks in action.
A big thankyou goes out to our registrations director, Anne-Marie Halewood, who was the inspiration and vision behind our indigenous round initiative and who looked after the organisation in conjunction with club members, Shelley Ware & Brad Stephens. I encourage all members to get down to the club on Sunday to express their thanks for their fantastic efforts.
This Sunday Night: Indigenous Round Celebration
Speeches: 6 PM – Jason Kaona from the Fitzroy Stars
Kids Pizza – served free of charge for all players & siblings at 6:30.
Adult Meals – at the budget price of $10.
Raffles – a magnificent seafood platter donated by Fishi Business at Greensborough Plaza and the opportunity to win $250 cash in our joker jackpot.
Lucky balls – a number will be drawn out of the box and one player in attendance who wears that guernsey number this year will walk away with a $25 Rebel Sport voucher.
Next week the club will be closed for Queens Birthday Weekend ( no games), the week after 12th June will be our celebration of Girls Football.
As we move towards the half way mark of the season, it is timely to remind all members that everybody you see on a Sunday night working behind the bar, in the kitchen or collecting glasses or cleaning up is a volunteer. Nobody at our club is paid. Your assistance and courtesy in cleaning up after yourself , returning glasses to the bar and putting rubbish in the bins would be most appreciated. To our players, we understand that pizza can be a messy food to eat, but we ask that you respect our clubrooms by keeping food scraps to a minimum and disposing of any leftover pizza and napkins in the bins provided. The recent practice observed of kids throwing pizza at each other will not be tolerated and we ask that parents remind their children that they are expected to behave as they would at home.
Team Sponsors of the Week:
Essendon Financial Services (Tackers Black) – David Costa from Essendon Financial Services are new team sponsors and we welcome them aboard, thanks heaps For all of your financial planning needs please give David and his team a call on 9374 1133.
Becks Bedding 15 (2) Girls – need a good nights sleep ? Becks Bedding is a locally owned, family owned business who have been manufacturing quality bedding since 1948. Check out their website http://www.becksbedding.com.au/ and give David Beck a call for all of your bedding needs.
Azzona Drainage Contractors (14 Gold) – are specialists in sewer & drain construction and earthworks. Dario is a long term sponsor of our club and if you have the need for these services please call him on 9305 3900.
Last week I mentioned Delta Holidays but unfortunately gave the wrong phone number – the correct details are 8682 9481 or check them out at http://www.deltaholidays.com.au/.
DON’T FORGET: LADIES NIGHT IS ONLY 3 WEEKS AWAY, 21st JUNE – LADIES, GET YOUR CREW TOGETHER AT THIS WEEKS GAME AND BOOK YOUR TICKETS VIA http://www.trybooking.com/HVAR OR AT THE CLUB ON SUNDAY NIGHT.
If you have any feedback about the club, or anything you would like mentioned in future newsletters please let me know,
Thanks & GO BURRA,
0413 266 484